Overview: Creativity is a particularly difficult concept to define. And yet, we immediately recognize its cultural, social, and economic importance. It manifests itself everywhere, in all facets of life, from the most mundane to the sublime. Creativity generates the value and meaning we attach to our lived experiences. It gives form to the shape of the world around us. We recognize it in the evolving processes of nature, and celebrate it in the greatest innovative achievements of our age. And still, our understanding of this complex process is somewhat of a mystery.
The Creative Mind at Brown University captures Brown’s creative assets and leverages them in an ambitious three-pronged approach to generate creative practice in education, research and community. Brown has a tradition of creative approaches demonstrated in its new curriculum, liberal arts education and research excellence, interdisciplinary and entrepreneurial environment and its talented graduate pool. The Creative Mind identifies a practice of creativity and makes it accessible by providing rich and dynamic environments and experiences. This practice is demonstrated in this three-pronged approach:
Education: Create undergraduate, graduate and faculty programs to challenge students and faculty to develop a deeper understanding of their creative processes in contexts that are both relevant to their interests and consonant with their values.
- Undergraduate integrated creative interdisciplinary programming to support the imagination to learn, build, live and grow (e.g., interdisciplinary taught courses, classroom studios/production and case study approach)
- Graduate-level training program to encourage creative practice across disciplines and into career fields (e.g., IE MBA Program, Brown/RISD/Alpert Medical School joint graduate programming)
- Interdisciplinary faculty engagement and exposure to creative practice through joint class development and workshops at the Granoff Center for Creative Arts.
Research: Create opportunities to support research that pushes beyond traditional inquiry, blurs the boundaries between disciplines, and nurtures the practice of the creative mind.
- Creative Mind Collaborative Research Funds supporting the creative practice in research that spans disciplinary boundaries.
- Brown-RISD Integrated Education and Research Collaborative capturing the assets of two creative communities through a more focused and accessible process to tackle research and technical challenges.
Outreach: Create dialogue among diverse environments and cultures to establish awareness and understanding of the value of the creative mind in society.
- Creative Mind Interviews recording and assessing State of Creativity in the Brown community
- Creative Mind Conversation Series exploring and accessing the global creative minds of society in an intimate setting.
- OpenCourseWare making creative practices available and accessible
- Creative Mind Archive and Brown Digital Repository building a record of creative practices and resources to research or utilize in future generations.